Thursday, March 14, 2013

Goodbye Mom

No matter how much you know it's coming, you're never quite prepared.

Mom had a rare form of sarcoma known as myxofibrosarcoma. It is diagnosed in only 10,000 people a year. It can be beaten, but it's not easy, as it is an aggressive cancer.

My mom fought harder than I could ever imagine and in her last month, the pain she endured was something I would not wish on my worst enemy. It's so hard to sit helplessly by and watch someone you love die. When it's your mother, I have to think that the only thing harder would be your child or your spouse. Or maybe they are all equally awful.

Mom passed away early Tuesday morning. She passed peacefully in her sleep and was in no pain. That is the only comfort I can find in this horrific experience. She endured so much pain, but she never thought of herself first.

We had the visitation down in South Carolina last night and I flew home this morning. My father, brother, and aunt will be driving up on Friday and we will hold a memorial service and celebration of her life on Saturday. We will display quilts that she made all over the church. It has a balcony that runs around the entire inside of the room where the service will be held that we can drape them over. After that, we have hired a caterer to take care of  the reception.

Then everyone will go home and it will be time to get back to my "normal" life. Except I'm not exactly sure how to do that.

I put together a slide show and wanted to upload it, but I'm just not tehnological enough to do it and I feel like I do nothing but ask Justin to help me with computer things. But here is the title page. I think it's so appropriate, because she loved nothing better than to be working on a quilt. It became her whole purpose in life after she retired. I knew that when the ability to quilt was no longer possible, Mom's illness would be a rapid decline.

Rest in peace, Mom. I love you.

And don't forget you promised to send me pennies.


4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. There are no other words I can say except you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for the loss of your mom. There will always be that comfort that she is now in peace and without pain. I know you will miss her. My mother passed away in 2006 from a rapid spread of anaplastic carcinoma of the thyroid, very rare and aggressive. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss! My father passed away almost 2 years ago from lung cancer and Alzheimer's.

    {{{{{HUGS}}}}} and prayers!

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss. Look after yourself.
    Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!