Sunday, April 22, 2012

There's No Shame In the Word Medicine



I've been stitching all weekend.

I have also been working up to a post about how I was treated by the nurse at my psychiatrist's office on Friday when they lost my refill. I am hoping to be able to write about it by tomorrow, because if we are not our own advocates, we will never end the stigma and we will never be accorded the basic dignity to which we are entitled.

It's hard to write about because they make us feel "less than." They condescend. They treat us like drug addicts. They tell us we are lying. They make the mistake and then, without investigating, they blame us.

We shouldn't have to feel ashamed to need our medications. And they shouldn't automatically assume that we are lying to get refills. It benefits no one.

I go out of my way to make sure the doctor gives me refills when I go to the office. And yet, these things still happen all the time. I will share the "conversation" I had with the nurse on my blog tomorrow and I will be writing a letter to the doctor to let him know this is not the first time this person has treated me this way.

In the meantime, I hope you've had a happy weekend.


 

1 comment:

  1. So sorry (and angry) that you've been treated like this yet again, but am glad to hear that you are sticking up for yourself and making it known how it makes you feel.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!