Saturday, April 7, 2012

Some Stitchy News

My parents were here for two days from South Carolina and I sadly hugged them goodbye last night. I am so looking forward to June, when we will spend a week together at the beach! Unfortunately, Ben has summer school, so he won't be able to come. I don't know how sad he is about having the whole house to himself for an entire week though.

While my mom was here, we went to Joann's and Hobby Lobby and I got all of the stuff I needed to start on this HAED:


It took us forever to get the thread onto the floss cards (I think there are 49 different colors!) and we were still finishing up when the guys got back from golfing with dinner last night. We were hurrying so fast, we kept tangling the thread.

This is my very first Heaven and Earth Design and it's stitched over one thread on 25 count linen. Like all of the HAED's I've seen, it's a big one, so I anticipate this to be something that will take me a long time to finish. I had to order "glaced" thread to grid the fabric, which will make it much easier not to miscount (which would be a disaster on a piece like this).

Here's some progress on some of my other projects.


This is for my SAL with my friend in Washington state, who finished mine awhile ago. I know it doesn't look like it, but I've filled in a lot of the empty squares and gotten more work done on the bottom of the skirt. I have a ways to go on this one, so will try to find an hour or two this weekend for it.


Progress aplenty on my love quilt square. It's due June 1st, so it's at the top of the pile and I stitched on this almost exclusively last week. I just started the metallic in the diamond, so hopefully a design will be staring out at you from my next picture.


My April cottage is coming right along. When I finish this one, I will have to do February and March before I move on. May is finally here and I got the thread yesterday when I was getting the thread for the HAED. These are quick stitches, but I have so many projects going right now that I'm having a hard time getting them finished.


Last, but not least, this is the beginning of the nametag I will wear when I attend any guild or sewing club related events. Some of it is stitched over one thread, which I thought would be really good practice for the HAED. I discovered yesterday that it works much better when I only use one strand of floss, so that it something I now know for the bigger project.

Speaking of the guild, the director almost tackled me when I came in the door on Thursday and asked if I wanted to co-chair the programs committee for the guild. This means I will be eventually taking over as the chairwoman (person?) and I will be planning what we will be doing at each meeting, getting designers and other needleworkers to come in to teach or give a "trunk" show of their work, planning field trips, etc. I was so excited to be asked, since my self-confidence has been taking something of a beating. I have my first assignment, which is to get the details into place for our field trip on June 7th to Woodlawn Plantation for their 49th annual needlework show. Awesome, except for the fact that we leave at 8:30 a.m. These are the times I wished I drank coffee!

I spent an hour or so cleaning up my blog reading list this morning. There are many that have been posting that I have been skipping over due to lack of time, so I thought it would be a good idea to take off the ones that no longer fit with where I am at the moment. I feel guilty if someone I am subscribed to posts and I don't catch the update and then I feel really stressed out. It feels like there aren't enough hours in the day anymore. We all get 24, right?

And, on that note, I am off for a day of stitching. Justin went down to visit his grandmother, who turns 97 today, so I have my pick of cheesy chick flicks. By the way, did you know that Amazon Prime does not allow you to view movies for free after your first month of membership? Not only did I give them $79 for a year's membership, I also will have to pay a rental fee for any movie I want to watch now that my 30 day trial is up and I forked over my payment. I rejoined Netflix, but they have almost no selection on streaming. You can't even watch Friends unless you buy it on DVD and all of the movies are like 15-20 years old. I know it has something to do with the rights to the movies not being obtained, but what the hell am I paying $8 a month for if I'm not going to get to see the recent movies? I hope this streaming thing catches on soon.


3 comments:

  1. Chelae you have some lovely WIPs!

    Whenever I stitch over one even on 25ct I use one strand. When I work on. My large over one project I work on it 10x10 at a time before I move onto my focus project.

    I hope you enjoy your guild. I used to belong to one but often felt looked Dow. On because I liked to cross stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a good time with your mom. Good luck with your HAED, you might find even weave nicer than linen to work with. I use 22ct so I can use 2 threads and the loop start. It's often a good idea to try some test stitching on different fabrics to find a combination that suits you - nothing worse than deciding you hate your fabric after a few months work. Your WIPS are looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fairies so look forward to seeing the finished piece.The other pieces are coming along nicely. That's great about the co-chair position!That will be really good for your confidence. I'm not a very confident person myself but taking on volunteer work has really helped me.
    I haven't tried to watch movies on my computer yet as my old computer was so slow. Hopefully this laptop will be better.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!