Friday, April 20, 2012

Do You Coupon?

I wonder how many people watch that show Extreme Couponing. I watched it a few times and was absolutely impressed by how organized these people are, the stash of goods they got for free with their coupons, how many hours they spent every week couponing, and how they would kick a kid out of a room to use it for product storage.

Okay, that last one never happened (on the show...that I know of...). But I saw lots of basements full to the rafters with groceries that were acquired for free and years worth of shampoo, body wash, toothbrushes, gum, spaghetti sauce, frozen snacks, and on and on. It really was kind of awesome in a really scary kind of way. It almost reminded me of the OCD that hoarders suffer from in reverse. The anxiety at the checkout line as the couponer would watch the total amount go down with each coupon and the panic attack when a coupon didn't go through kind of struck me as a mental disorder on some level. But it was a mental disorder that was working to their advantage, since they were basically paying nothing for their groceries. And they had a supermarket in their home. How cool would that be? Need something for dinner? Go shopping in your basement.

I want to know where the meat coupons come from, because we've never seen meat coupons anywhere. As you know, if you read this blog regularly, Justin is the grocery shopping expert in our home and if I make a trip for him, it results in an inevitable argument. He pairs coupons with sales, he will only buy things if they are on sale, and $300 nets him about double the groceries that it does for me.

I am a firm believer in coupons. It's free money. But I'm too disorganized and too ADD to really get the most that I can out of coupons.

I get a lot of ads for sales at my favorite stores in my email. I'm sure you do too. But wouldn't it be awesome if you could pair an online sale with a coupon?

That's where a site called Coupon Chief can come in handy. I received a request to review the site and I was amazed at how many different stores have coupons on the site. I spent some time maneuvering around and discovered that Coldwater Creek (my new favorite clothing store) participates. Also Target, Hanes, 1-800-Contacts, Old Navy, FTD, and almost any other store where I might shop has coupon listings on the site. And it's all online shopping, which is my forte, considering my agoraphobia.

It took me a couple of days to decide what I truly needed to order. I didn't want to just buy something in order to give the site a review. Then I realized while doing the laundry that Joey's underwear is about three sizes too small and his sweat pants are starting to look like capris (which is not a good look on boys). So I went to Coupon Chief and checked out their Hanes coupons. They have a multitude of available savings for Hanes and I ended up getting a savings of $11.99 which I would have spent for shipping (free shipping) and a $5 off coupon on the final total.

I put a bunch of things in the cart that Joey needed and my initial total was $65. Adding shipping would have made it 76.99, but because of Coupon Chief's coupons, I got free shipping, bringing it back down to $65. Tax was $3.00, making it $68, but with a $5 off coupon from Coupon Chief, my end total was $63. So with the site, I saved $13.99, a significant savings.

I love shopping online and finding a way to bring my total way down. This was a no brainer and I will definitely be going back the next time I need to buy something. They have a variety of different coupons available for each retailer and you can choose the one that will save you the most money.

I'm not an organized couponer. But since this request for a site review was in sync with my savings and spending updates and my attempts to keep costs down raising three boys in an expensive area of the country, I am always happy to have coupons dropped into my lap. No waiting for the circulars every Sunday. No clipping. Just copy and paste the code and it automatically takes the savings off. It's a win-win.

(This is a paid, sponsored post by Coupon Chief. The opinions, however, are completely my own. I highly recommend this site.)

 

2 comments:

  1. I currently do not coupon, but I have a feeling that I will soon be starting, as soon as I move out. Right now my parents cover the cost of groceries, which I buy everyday fresh for dinner (and I usually only buy the ingredients that I will need to make whatever it is that I'm making). We buy organic, grass-fed, etc. which makes it more expensive. But I have a feeling that when I'm out on my own, I will be couponing big time. BIG TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not enough of a math wiz to be able to coupon. Coupon Chief could work for me as we do a lot of online shopping in my household. :) Thanks for the info. I've already passed the link on to a couple people I know would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!