Saturday, March 17, 2012

Two Finishes!

I've promised you finishes and now I'm delivering.


Malea's finished piece for her birthday. We found the frame at AC Moore for 81 cents. I think if I had realized how difficult it was going to be to get the needlework into the back, I would have been willing to pay at least double that. But, you can't really see that I cut it just a shade too small in the picture. I don't know if she'll continue to notice that every time she looks at it or not. I have to hope not.

It really bothers me when I put several hours (or more) into stitching a project, only to ruin it when I try to finish it and have to chuck it out. Luckily, this pattern is very easy and very fast, so if she would like a replacement in a frame with a better back, it wouldn't be hard to do.

I have finally truly finished January's cottage:


My snowman now has the top of his hat and I am ready to move on to the February cottage. I got an update from Country Cottage Needleworks earlier this week that they have designed the May cottage and it should be out in stores by the end of the month. I'm a little behind, but I have all of the patterns and supplies and, since I'm not doing a stitch along, it's not like there's a deadline.

I spent the day yesterday working on the Love Quilt square and got this far:


The metallic threads for the design in the diamond came yesterday in the mail, so I'm pretty excited about that. I am not sure whether to do all of the background work before doing the detail work on the diamond or do the detail work and then finish up around the main pattern. Probably do the background first, which is usually the rule.

After a few hours of working on this, my right thumb was screaming with arthritis and I discovered that I actually can stitch left handed. It's a lot slower, but I bet if I practice, I could get pretty good at it.

Lastly, my friend jokingly asked me where her cross stitch was and I admitted that I had been guilty of not working on it. Seriously, the 18 count aida thread is killing my hand. I don't know if it's because the needle is so tiny or the holes are so small that it takes more to pull the thread through, but I did pull it out last night and got just a few stitches in.


Anybody know what it is yet? I'm going to try to do at least a few stitches a day so that she will eventually get her part of this swap. Next time, I'm going to choose a pattern that is stitched on linen!

Now you are updated. My hand feels a little like hamburger, so I am going to go search for a particular pattern online that I am looking for (for an unusual project) and possibly read today and rest my hand and wrist up so I can do some sewing tonight.

P.S. I spent all day yesterday in the recliner in front of cable movies. Does that count as watching television? The NCAA tournament has taken over the channel I normally watch in the afternoons, when I get my Everybody Loves Raymond and Friends fix, so I have been channel surfing and catching some great movies. I don't think I'm ready to give up television in any way. Luckily, I don't have to.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!