Sunday, March 4, 2012

Cross Stitching Update!

Just a few photos of some projects I am currently working on. I got so involved in working on the swap with my friend that I forgot to take breaks and put myself into a major flare. When does a hobby become an addiction? I was researching that just a bit today and it seems that it can actually happen.

Anyway, I had to put down this one:

Name that Design!

Until I can get my carpal tunnel/fibro flare under control, I will have to let this one go for just awhile. Between the 18 count aida fabric and my stubborn refusal to do anything besides trying to finish it, I ended up with a painful stiff hand and an arm that felt like I had tennis elbow. I knew I had to quit when I wasn't able to sew through the shooting pains in my shoulder. I have a compromise with myself. I'm willing to accept up to a certain level of pain in order to satisfy my sewing habit, but when it gets to the point where I can't get comfortable in any position, it's time to take a break.

I rested all day yesterday, but was getting really twitchy because I wasn't working on anything. (Sewing is like my crack. Thank God I don't have a drug addiction because I have no willpower.) So I decided to switch to linen for a change (because the fabric is much softer and isn't nearly as painful for me to work with) and started my January Country Cottage:

January Cottage by Country Cottage Needleworks
I'm really excited at how quickly this is going. It shouldn't take much longer than the Christmas ornaments I will be making every month. I have the patterns for February, March, and April is on its way. I will be able to get four cottages on one piece of linen. I then plan to mount them on "sticky" board and switch them out for the correct month, just like a calendar. I'm sure Joey will remind me every month when it's time to put a new one in the frame.

For the Embroidery Guild chapter that I just joined this past week, we will be making nametags at our next meeting. I am so excited about the EGA coming to Winchester that I could just SQUEEEEE!!!! with glee. They have picked out a basic pattern and will be kitting it up for us to buy at the next meeting. We will stitch it in April and finish it in May. We can personalize them any way we want and I would really like to find one of these for my nametag:


This is a fairly large pattern I got from www.artecy.com and will be much too big for the nametag, with everything else that will be going on it. I'm hoping to get one of the more experienced ladies to help me figure out how to shrink it to something I can actually fit onto the nametag. For those of you who are not familiar, this is the autism awareness ribbon. I'm all about autism awareness and would like to find a tiny ribbon pattern in the primary colors and puzzle pieces for a corner of the project.

Our June meeting is a field trip to Woodlawn Plantation for a needlework show and then a trip to an extremely cool needlework shop. I'm tickled to be sewing with these ladies, who told us we should "bring our checkbooks." I kind of like it that I'm one of the younger members and found this old fashioned "write a check" thing very cute and sweet. I don't know if I will be able to attend the field trip, because as with everything else, it's fibro pending, but I want to go pretty badly. I will have to see how much I'm flaring and how tired I am before I can make a commitment. Luckily, they haven't asked for money yet. I think the dues I paid last week go towards the field trip.

The other really cool thing is that they have a smaller stitching group that gathers at the local quilting shop every second Friday of the month just to stitch on whatever they are currently working on. I'm joining that too, even though they meet up at 10:00 in the morning. (If you've been following me for any length of time, you'll know that I don't do mornings. But for this, I may have to force myself because I've been looking for some people to stitch with for a very long time.)

That's it for tonight. If I wrap this up now, I can get a few more stitches into my January cottage. Hopefully, the next update will be a finished January and a start on February. And I haven't abandoned my friend - just waiting for the injury I did to my hand and arm to heal enough to allow me to put in at least a few stitches on that one every day. She's finished mine, so I have to finish hers. It's only fair.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Chelle, I'm a new follower. I like your idea of switching the cottages on display each month. I plan to do that with my Prairie Schooler designs, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie,

    I would love to have a different frame for each one, but I checked with Crescent Colors (they make the frames and sell them through places like 123 Stitch) and the cost for one little frame is almost $50!!!! So, I'll be switching them in and out of one frame and finding a way to store them properly in between. My mom (who is a professional quilter) told me that the best way to store quilts is in cotton bags, so I may have her make me a fabric bag to keep the 11 I'm not using in.

    Thanks for following! I love that there are other stitchers online (although I wish I'd figured it out way sooner!) and I always love a new follower, especially one who comments.

    Hugs,
    Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good that you're getting out and mixing with others that share your sewing interests. I find it hard sometimes to motivate myself to go to my club meetings but am usually glad that I did. Sorry about your hand - hope it gets better soon :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!