Wednesday, February 29, 2012

That's Why It's Called Art

Anyone who reads this blog is well aware of my love of cross stitching. But today, I thought I would entertain you with a different interest of mine: drawing.

I haven't done a lot of drawing because I'm such a freaking perfectionist and if it doesn't look "gallery worthy," I usually just toss it in the old trash bin. But here are a few of the things I thought might be worth keeping:

My "bear" period:
  
Just fooling around with animal faces:

Oops. I guess maybe I was still a little in my bear period there. This next one I drew while waiting for Joey to finish his occupational horse therapy on a hot summer day.


This was from the passenger side of the car with the door and window wide open. What you don't see are the flies.

Then I kind of got into a national monuments phase:


I'm ashamed to say that my capitol building was drawn on copy paper. That's right. Good old fashioned crap paper you put into your printer. I didn't have a sketch pad at the time. Just the urge to draw from a photo I saw. I keep this one in a plastic sleeve because it really is kind of the best thing I ever drew.

This is called "Half Finished White House:"


Unlike our government, which seems to be blowing itself up quite well without the help of any radical Islamic groups.

Wow, this post kind of wrote itself. I need to get out the actual sketch pad and show you my pathetic attempts to illustrate one of my children's books. I'm thinking of taking an art class this fall at the local community college. I've promised my oldest son to make it at a time when he's not there because I wouldn't want to embarrass him or anything.

Tomorrow, you get to help me figure out how to make a craft area out of a desk and a recliner chair in my bedroom. Pictures to come.

(Copyright to all drawings Chelle Newton, 2012. Please do not copy without permission.)


7 comments:

  1. Wow, I am seriously speechless (and a little jealous) of your skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tamara. I don't draw much because I'm much more into cross stitch. And I have to have something to copy or it looks like something a first grader does. :o)

      Hugs,
      Chelle

      Delete
  2. I LOVE your drawings! I used to draw a lot too but haven't for a long time. I must find the time to do it again.
    Thanks for sharing your lovely artwork :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drawing is WAY cheaper than scrapbooking, although I guess you could put a lot of money out on canvases and pencils and pens and what not.

      I really do prefer sewing. It's much more precise!

      Hugs,
      Chelle

      Delete
  3. Beautiful drawings Chelle. You will do well in your art class for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Justice! I'm not sure we will have the money for the class, but it would be nice to take one'

      Delete
  4. Wow...you're very talented! These are beautiful sketches!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!