Sunday, February 19, 2012

It's ConFESSION time!

Oh I have such guilt! I think Justin should just take my credit cards away and take all of the numbers out of my computer.

I've really been good. I have. But I have used the credit card four times in the last week for things that were not essential and I'm going to hold myself accountable right here on my blog. Maybe you can tell me if I was being unreasonable in saying, "I'm not ever going to use my credit cards again for anything except gas, groceries, and prescriptions." Because really, even though it was a daily challenge to myself, it was more about stopping the unbelievably excessive usage.

So, here are the charges (and I don't have exact amounts, so keep in mind these are estimates):

$31 to order Jamie a laser that is supposed to make his playstation work again. He gave me cash and I ordered it for him. I do still have the cash and haven't spent it on crafting supplies yet, so I'm not too upset about this one.

$4 for two books from amazon.com. One was entitled "How to Grow Your Blog" and I though it was worth the $1.99 to get some ideas on how to gain more readers. It was a total rip off. I already do everything that he suggested except twitter (which I will be dragged onto kicking and screaming - I waste enough time on Facebook and Words With Friends already). The second book was from the Jack Reacher series that my mom loves and it actually looked really good and was on sale for $1.99. I really have to have some leeway in book buying every month and I think $4 for the entire month of February (up to today) is below budget.

$40 at my own Cafe Press Store. I bought a birthday present for my best friend and a hat and a keychain for myself. These were all planned purchases, but I still feel guilty for whipping out the credit card and using it for this. But how else was I going to buy my own online stuff?

So, there you have it. This is what I spent money on this week that I did not use cash for. For me, it's really low, but it's still using those damned cards. What do you do when the internet is always in your face asking for your money? How do you resist the urge to just type in your credit card number? If there is anyone out there reading this who does not order things off the internet, I would love to hear from you because I'd like to know how you do it.

Every single one of these charges will be paid immediately upon arrival of the bill. It's not that I didn't have the cash for them. I did. But my computer won't let me put cash into it to pay for stuff, so I'm kind of stuck. And wow, hasn't Amazon really taken over the internet market? 3 of the 4 charges were through Amazon. It's amazing, their marketing ability and how, with the kindle, they now have one big "BUY THROUGH US" tool, isn't it?

Today is a "no spend" day, unless I go to the grocery store for Justin because he got called for work. Again. Whoever keeps breaking shit for this client of his is on my list right now, because I hate it when he is called on what is supposed to be his day off. The problem with working from home is that you are always working from home. The boundaries are gone, people. I don't recommend it except for the lack of commute and being able to work in your pajamas. If you want to have any separation of work and home, you simply cannot work there.

So, did I epic fail with my spending challenge this week?


6 comments:

  1. Not at all. I still think you're doing fabulous and you're still my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I never thought I would be an inspiration to ANYONE! You just made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

    It's after 4:00 here and I haven't online shopped at all today. I'll keep trying and then talking about it when it fails.

    At least Justin thinks I'm still on track. He said it's not like I wasn't planning on the last purchase and the first one was for our son.

    Hugs,
    Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if your not being implusive then your doing good . Nothing seemed impulsive

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kristy.

    I am JUST this side of wanting to whip out my credit cards for some decent sewing supplies, but trying to control the urge! Even Justin said I should go buy a real rotary cutting system last night, but they're expensive, so I'm going to wait. Waiting makes me so sad!

    Hugs,
    Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just read my blog again and you'll realize that actually you are doing really well! :)You've given me some great tips about not spending and I'm going to try to put them into practice.
    My credit cards are stored in a room right away from my computer in the hope that it means I won't use them on-line. Amazon is tricky though as they have 1 step ordering! Really though $4 on books for the whole month is fantastic - GOOD ON YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, I slipped and bought an ebook yesterday by Kristin Hannah that everyone seems to be reading. It was $12.99.

    That amazon one click is awesome for them, but it makes it WAY too easy to spend money on the credit card!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!