Thursday, February 2, 2012

How Would You Feel?



Today, I just have one question for you.

How would you feel if you were fighting stage 4 cancer and your insurance company refused to pay for your chemotherapy drugs?

I'll bet you'd be really angry and really upset, am I right?

Well, that's what happened to my friend, Malea, yesterday. Her first chemotherapy appointment to receive the drugs that her doctor has determined will be the best ones to put her into remission was yesterday. Because she has insurance through a very well known HMO, she was hoping they would agree to at least pick up the cost of the drugs.

Especially since (a) they have told her there is nothing further they can do for her and (b) her doctor told her that she was free to find another provider. Oh and I forgot the fact that her husband pays a shit ton of money for health insurance.

And yet, when they went to the pharmacy to pick up the drugs, she was told that coverage was denied. She had to pay over $1700 yesterday for her treatment. That's cash, people. She is supposed to go for more chemo on Thursday, another $1,700. And, as her treatment continues, that number is going to go up.

Malea's out of money. Her family is out of money. And I'm out of ideas. Well, not completely out of ideas, but her costs are so high that I don't know how to get the money rolling in.

That's where you come in. You have three choices to help.

1. Go to Save Malea and click on the donate button. This puts money directly into her chemo account.

2. Go to my Cafe Press store Chelle's Pet Project and buy anything. There is a "Save Malea" section and you are welcome to buy any of the products I have put in there with the pretty logo that Malea and I designed with wonderful artist Tierra Lalk of Tierra Designs. All the profit from any purchase in the Cafe Press store will go directly into Malea's bank account as soon as I receive it.

3. Contact me directly by email (CNewton724 at gmail dot com) and ask to purchase a lottery ticket. We haven't worked out all of the details yet, but first prize is a chance to win an autographed copy of Stephen King's 11/23/63 and the drawing will be on March 3rd. We're still working out the other prizes right now. Each ticket costs only $10, or you can buy more chances for $20, $30, $40, etc.

I know that most of you reading this don't know me. And I know most of you don't know Malea. But I am going to go out on a limb here and tell you that if I lose her because her insurance company refuses to pay for her treatment, you can bet I'm going to a little bit more than devastated.

Let's not let the insurance company decide her fate. Please go to one of the places I've suggested and help a girl out.

Thank you.


3 comments:

  1. Do Cafe Press ship to Australia? I'd like a mousepad with the cat and dog on it, but couldn't see overseaas shipping on the site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure. I will check for you and let you know.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cafe Press does indeed ship outside of the United States. They do Australia, Canada, Germany, United Kingdom, United States and then there is a worldwide option.

    Here is the link:

    http://shop.cafepress.com/cp/info/help/index.aspx?page=shipping.aspx

    If there is a picture you would like on another product, please let me know. Also, I will be adding more products and more pictures tomorrow.

    Hugs,
    Chelle

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!