Sunday, January 8, 2012

Stream of Consciousness Sunday - A Stitching Room

I haven't done one of these in awhile. Things have been kinda hectic and, to be honest, I've been really depressed by the hand life has been dealing. But I thought I would give it a shot since I am out of bed and have the computer in my lap.

Okay, five minutes, here goes.

I've been looking for projects that will take my mind off of some of the crap that has been going on around me and I have discovered a couple of stitching blogs. My favorite is Faye at the Carolina Stitcher. She sews up these incredibly cute little old fashioned things, finishes them off like a pro, and posts up pictures. Somehow, she has gotten over 600 followers and so there is just that dart of jealousy, like how the heck did she do that?

It seems like there are alway distractions, as Fadra said over at her blog today. I live in a house with a husband, three kids, a dog (who is always on the wrong side of the door), and two cats. And it never fails that when I sit down to write, someone wants to talk to me. But if I am stitching, then I'm pretty boring and none of the guys in my house really wants to sit and watch me stitch.

So, I've been over at the 123 Stitch website, drooling over some of the things that Faye posted up that she was going to try to get to this year. They're little projects and they look so home-y (is that a word? If not, I just made it up.)

When my oldest son moves out, Jamie has already been promised his room, which in retrospect, I totally regret. It's the biggest bedroom (aside from the master bedroom) and it has a separate bathroom. It would make an awesome "woman cave" and guest room. If we ever had guests. But since I promised it to Jamie, I will take his room and I will make it into my studio/writing room/stitching room. I already have a recliner and desk for it. I told Justin earlier that when I get it, it will be decorated completely in butterflies and no one with testosterone would have any interest in bothering me in there. Which kind of gets me to that place of no distractions, I think.

And, to make my point, I hope to be able to shift over to some of these smaller needlework projects and actually get some of them done. I found the satisfaction of finishing things when I made all of those Christmas gifts and my hand wasn't hurting the way it used to when I would stitch for 8-10 hours a day. I can still do my hobby, but on a smaller scale.

And now I'm over my five minutes, so there you have my stream of conscious(ness) for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!