Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Next Time I Should Do My Homework


Yes, That's Really His Signature!
I used to be so good at research. But then I became a mom and lost my mind. Literally. I forgot that you have to make sure everything you do is legal if you want to be a law abiding citizen. Bummer.

So, I had this great idea. I would hold this raffle, use the paypal button, tell my friend's story, and the money to pay for her treatment would come pouring in.

Well, not so much. Here's the problem:

There is [sic] a variety of laws and opinions regarding internet raffles. Most of the information leads to the conclusion that it is unlawful to hold a raffle on the internet. Investigation has shown that:
1. Each state has its own Raffle laws. States where raffles are legal have their own separate rules and regulations for holding raffles. In states where raffles are legal some type of raffle license must be obtained from the pertinent state office.
2. Raffles are considered a form of gambling. Gambling is carefully monitored by state and federal regulations. The three basic criteria that satisfy the definition of gambling are: (1) a prize is awarded; (2) the winner of the prize is determined purely by chance; and (3) some consideration or payment is required to participate.
3. Although each state has its own raffle rules, if the BMDCA were to hold an internet raffle we would be crossing interstate lines. For instance, in the state of Oklahoma, raffles are illegal. We cannot research and obtain a raffle license in each state. It would be impractical and non-cost effective.
We have contacted state raffle offices, the US Justice Department and researched the Internet. Although we have not found a written law saying specifically "no internet raffles," we have got enough information to conclude that it is illegal.


(Courtesy http://forums.appleinsider.com/archive/index.php/t-18135.html)

Apparently, every single state has different laws regarding holding raffles. In Oklahoma it is actually a felony. It's illegal in many states and in most states where it is legal, you need a permit.


For the purposes of my own raffle right now, Virginia has a pretty cool view of raffles. As long as you don't make more than $40,000, they are fine with you holding one. So, I am down, but not completely out.

While I know a lot, if not most of my readers are out of the state of Virginia, some of you are not. And some of you are originally from Virginia and still have family here.

So, you can still help. If you would like to contribute to paying Malea's costs and you either live in Virginia or have relatives who live in Virginia, please contact me at CNewton724 at gmail dot com and let me know. I will still be raffling off Stephen King's 11/23/63, which I received in the mail yesterday. And yes, I actually have a book that he held in his own two hands and signed. It was almost a religious experience to see his name in blue ink on the page. Stephen King would definitely one of my choices of people for my most interesting dinner party (which probably wouldn't include myself, since I'm kind of boring).

Here's what we're going to do. I talked to Malea last night and she told me that her husband, Jason (who has a band), is organizing a large fundraiser and the band will play. She wants to have lots of items at the door to raffle off. That is when we will choose a winner for the book. But you can buy a ticket beforehand if you live in the state of Virginia or have relatives here that you can ask to send me money. We don't have the date yet for the drawing, but I will pass that along as soon as I do.

I really hate begging for money, but "Malea's Cause" is now changing to "Save Malea." She's in the battle of her life for her life and she needs your help. I know that this will significantly limit the amount of fundraising I can do for this one particular raffle item, but I know a lot of my friends are still here in the good old Commonwealth, so if you would like to buy a raffle ticket, please contact me at the email listed above and I will tell you where to send money.

Thank you for your support and if you would like to read more about Malea's horrific fight to save her life since her diagnosis on April 15, 2009, please click on the tab at the top of the page. I think you'll see why this is a desperate situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!