Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011 - See Ya! Not Sad to See Ya Go!

So I'm sitting here, reading all of the New Year's Resolution blogs and the Happy New Year's blogs and I'm thinking okay, what actually happened in 2011 and what, if anything did I accomplish?

The thing I've noticed about being in the blogosphere is that every holiday (I mean every holiday) is written about to death. So I thought that instead of making this about a whole lot of resolutions I won't keep anyway, I think I will try to figure out what happened to me last year and if my cup is half empty, half full, or I have a cup that is twice the size that it needs to be (thanks, Justin, always the engineer).

So, in 2011:

I completed an entire year of blogging. I didn't post every day, but I have posted over 350 times since starting in October of 2010, so you guys got a lot of me. That's kind of an accomplishment that I have that much to say. Or maybe I'm just wordy and prolific and you would like for me to shut up. Sorry. I'm totally not able to do that. And I'm now writing at Off The Deep End with a great bunch of writers. Blogging is great because you don't have to go through a bunch of stuff publishing houses and worry about rejection.

I finished quite a few cross stitch projects, which is definitely an accomplishment. All of them were for Christmas and I am now going back to the ones I have piled up and trying to get those finished. Although I had thought that the chronic strain that sewing was putting on my hand might be the end of my stitching days, I discovered that shorter stitching times and smaller projects work better for me, allowing me to continue with the hobby that I love so much.

I sent out my Brave Bear manuscript to several publishers and go rejected by three of them and ignored by the fourth. Ah well. No one said that writing as a profession was going to pay the mortgage.

I made several starts and stops on various novel ideas which are sitting around on my old hard drive. I don't really know if any of the ideas will ever go anywhere and I am currently reassessing whether writing is ever going to be anything other than a hobby for me. Quite honestly, reading is a lot more fun and sewing even more fun, so it might be that I am not the great American novelist after all. I'm really okay with that.

I learned to live with and actually love a dog. And not one of those little teacup, toy, yappy numbers either. This is an 85 pound, genuine, furry, shedding, sloppy, tv watching, hamburger begging, scare off intruders and small children dog. (Refer to any Facebook post over the last year and you will probably find a picture of my dog. In fact, my picture for my blog is now the realistic 47 year old me (albeit from the back) and my dog. Well, he's really Justin's dog, but I'll do in a pinch. I think this is quite an accomplishment from someone who has been a cat person for her first 46+ years of life.

I managed not to break any bones last year. Stay tuned. (I don't know if I broke the toe. We didn't bother to have it x-rayed. Because it was a toe.)

None of my children were brought home by the police or suspended. Again, stay tuned.

I read somewhere in the area of 200 books. Maybe more. The gift of my kindle for Christmas 2010 caused a large dent in Justin's wallet and a renewed love affair with reading. I'm still checking out the library periodically though. And taking advantage of those free book offers that come my way in my email from Amazon from time to time.

I survived pneumonia, a kidney stone, and multiple fibro flares. Again, stay tuned. There's always a hypochrondrical hysteria when you live with me.

My husband lost his father in July and we will always miss him. There's just not enough words to describe this loss, so I'm not going to try.

My mom is still here and now in remission from her aggressive fibromyxosarcoma (wow, what a mouthful!). That is the best accomplishment of 2011 and it's not mine, but I wanted to include it here anyway. Because when one person has cancer, the whole family gets to watch and suffer right along with that person.

My best friend continues to fight her metastatic breast cancer and I am praying that 2012 will come with a cure and restore her to health. Your good thoughts and prayers are of course appreciated.

And that's basically my 2011. I can't say that I'm sad to see it go.

I'd say that the glass appears to be about right. I have a roof over my head, three wonderful children, great parents, a wonderful mother-in-law, the ability to do whatever creative thing I get into my head, food in my pantry, and pets that I adore. Oh. And I should probably mention the husband who makes it all possible.

Thank you, Justin. I don't say that enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!