Thursday, November 10, 2011

Insatiable Book Sluts Challenge

Join the challenge!

(I tried to get their half naked lady with the book challenge image from their website, but because I don't speak HTML, all I have to offer is my list. Sorry about that!)


So, I don't know if I followed this challenge correctly and, because I'm a non-conformist, I don't really care. The point is that I have a looonnngggg list of award winning books to read once I finish Stephen King's new fascinator. (It's totally a word - I just made it up.) I kind of got lost in all those lists and clicking back and forth, but here's what I will be reading over the next, oh ten years or so. Hey, they said no time limit!

Toe Dippen

Pulitzer Prize Winners:

The Executioner's Song - Norman Mailer
Rabbit is Rich - John Updike
The Killer Angels - Michael Shaara
The Stories of John Cheever - John Cheever
House Made of Dawn - N. Scott Momaday

These next ones all won some award and were in their categories somewhere, but I got lost and can't get back to wherever I found them. I'm a great reader, but lousy at following directions, so I have no idea which awards the next three won, but I think it was in their Genre Buster category:

Mine - Robert McCammon
Lost Boy, Lost Girl - Peter Straub
Horns - Joe Hill  (Stephen King's son, if you didn't know. How he thought he could keep it a secret is beyond me.)

National Book Award for Fiction:

Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
Beloved - Toni Morrison
The Great Fire - Shirley Hazzard

Man Booker Prize:

The English Patient - Michael Ondaatje (Because of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine hates the movie)
Sacred Hunger - Barry Unsworth
How Late It Was, How Late - James Kelman  

Hugo Award for Best Novel:

Dune - Frank Hebert
Spin - Robert Charles Wilson
Rainbows End - Vernor Vinge

I am stepping outside of my comfort zone on a few of these, which is somewhat the point. It's easy to decide we fit into a certain category of books and I've kind of gotten stuck there. If you want to be a good writer, read a lot. If you want to be a great writer, see what makes a great book by reading the award winners. You might think you're a great writer, but if no one else does, it's certainly not going to win you a publishing contract, lots of money, and important awards.

Hopefully, some of these will be free on the Kindle. I know the out of print "classics" are all free, so Catcher in the Rye shouldn't cost me anything. We have Killer Angels and Dune, so again, no cash outlay. Anything I can't get on the Kindle for less than $5, I'm going to try to get from the local library. I will do a review as I finish each book and I will start with the current book I am reading, 11/23/63 by Stephen King. He is my all time favorite author who has won several of these awards and, as Annie said in "Misery," I am his number one fan. I've already read everything I know of that he's ever written though, so I had go with unknowns. Which makes me a little nervous, but a little excited too.

I will be copying this post over into a little tabby thing at the top of the blog, so you can all go back to it if you're interested and I can keep track of my progress. And check out the booksluts link up top if you want lists of hundreds (maybe thousands?) of books that have won some kind of major award.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!