Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Joint Quilt Effort


A couple of years ago, I was desperately trying to learn sewing my mom's way, which is to quilt. I have always sewn by cross stitching, but I really, really wanted to sew like my mom. The result are three baby quilts I don't have pictures of because the people I gave them to moved, the quilt behind the desk I am not using in our bedroom, and this joint effort between my mother and myself. I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet, but it's going to have a place of honor.

I didn't think to take a picture before I gave my mom the squares, so this is what they looked like after she finished. First, I did the squares with the hearts inside:


Then, I put the hearts away because I wasn't sure what to do with them. A month or two ago, I took them out to my mom when I found them in a decluttering effort. The result is the picture at the top of this post. And this:


In case you can't read it, that says "Hearts by Chelle, Quilting by Mom xoxoxo 2011." My mom did the beautiful quilting on this piece on her sewing maching - I'm not sure which one. She has two (I think) regular sewing machines and a very big "long arm" machine into which she can load a quilt and then slide her chair back and forth along a groove as she quilts. The long arm is more for large quilts and enables her to do really cool designs in the quilting part.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to put this piece in my family room somewhere. I just need to find a place of honor to hang it. In fact, it might go into the entryway, as it is the only piece I have that we both worked on. I did the fine needlework attaching the hearts to the squares; Mom did everything else.

Here's the back, with the extra heart (it was supposed to be 12 total, but 3 of them didn't turn out for some reason):


Aren't the quilted hearts inside the hearts cool? So much imagination and creativity in one wall hanging.

Love you, Mom.

Chelle

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!