Friday, September 9, 2011

Yes, Virginia, I really Do Have a Blog!

Courtesy Google Images

Dear Readers,

By now, you may have noticed a slight shortage of posts. Or rather more time in between posts. I have no excuse. What can I say? Sometimes life sneaks up behind you and hits you over the head with a sledgehammer.

I know the competition for your attention is fierce and there are about nine gazillion blogs out there that are just waiting to snap you up and steal you away from me. I hope that you will bear with me during this little literary dryspell. Actually, you may be feeling something of a relief that I am shutting up ever so slightly. If so, you're welcome.

One of the blogs that I read (Telling Dad) had a recent post about the top five reasons he will never be famous. His readers thought that he was ready to throw himself off a fourth story window, but he was actually just venting about the fact that it is hard work to keep coming up with original stuff every day. For him, it might be doubly hard because he writes a humor blog and being funny all the time isn't easy. He's definitely one of the people I read daily, just because he and his wife duke it out on the blog regularly over things like eating crabcakes and cheetos in bed and the fact that he bought the wrong colored toilet at an auction that didn't match the rest of the bathroom. He's been working on getting the fire truck he bought registered with the DMV. He's funny. I'm pretty sure he will be famous for just that reason. I'm funny occasionally. Sorry I can't do it every day. I wish I could.

I've been working at this blog for almost a year now and I am slowly adding readers, but it has been a long, torturous process. I have abused used Facebook shamelessly to promote myself, as well as put my URL address into comments I have left on other peoples' blogs. I wish it was more of a writer's market than a reader's market, but it's kind of like my house. When we bought it, competition for a space to live was fierce and we took what we could get (and paid an exorbitant amount of money for it). Now, because it is a buyer's market, we couldn't give it away, even if we offered a couple of children closing costs to go with it. There is a lot to read these days and not a lot of time to read it. So, wherever you came from, thanks for reading. You have no idea how much of a kick I get out of getting occasional comments and knowing someone is actually reading something I wrote. It's better than sex drugs chocolate childbirth. (Well, isn't everything?)

Justin tells me that most people are looking for a short paragraph or two when they go blog stopping. This is because (I think) our attention spans have become that of a gnat's and most people are so busy these days that they have no more than five minutes to read something. But I feel that if I don't write something of substance, I am cheating you. It feels like I've taken the easy way out or been lazy and regardless of that "I am lazy" tattoo on my forehead that I got during my mid-life crisis when I was 35, I really do have a work ethic.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that I'm still here, even though I haven't had a shower yet or gotten out of my pajamas and it's 10:15 in the morning. I'm moving a little slower, but I'm sure I will continue to bore you gift you with my nuggets of wisdom for a good long time to come.

Thank you for your patience. You may now go back to your regularly scheduled job/child/life/online farm. As Arnold said in The Terminator....I'll be baaack....

Chelle

8 comments:

  1. Chelle,
    I am glad you'll be baaaack.... I have not been blogging as regularly or keeping up with blogs as regularly as I used to, lately, either, so I do understand. There is just so much a person can do in one day, and things like working for money to pay rent or going grocery shopping usually come before blogging if one is being slightly logical about things. So I feel very negligent myself, and I understand what you're saying. But you have to take care of you, and your life, before blogging, so do what you have to do, and come back here whenever you can. Your words of wisdom will still be appreciated, even if they're not there as often. People will still read your blog. And thank you so much for all the kind comments you have left on mine; I appreciate all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Jen, thanks for reading. I enjoy your blog so much - it's so very real and it's very pertinent about the issues that those of us with mental health issues face every day.

    I'm not really going anywhere. It's just that life's circumstances have been kind of beating me up and since there are things I can't really write about here, I am not posting as often as every day. I am also writing for the ask a bipolar website, so you can find me over there too, if you're missing me.

    And there is always my archives if you miss me! I see that I've written almost 300 posts now. Wow, who'd have thought that possible a year ago?

    Your blog comes up in my dashboard whenever you post and I look forward to reading when you do update.

    Glad to know that I'm touching people's lives in even a small way.

    Hugs,
    Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand - I've found times when I barely have anything to say, so I stop saying things as I don't need to waste people's time. And other times (like currently) I find myself full of exciting thoughts and ideas I want to share. I feel amazing everytime someone comments on my blog - I've been going for quite a while now and it's still a rare occurrence.

    I hope you enjoy your life at a slightly slower pace and look forward to when you continue to write here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for commenting, Tamara.

    What is your blog? I will come over and check it out!

    Hugs,
    Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I have a blogger blog I thought it would be linked to my profile but if you can't find it, it's http://emptythoughtsrewritten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weird, right? I clicked on your name and it took me to your google profile which had two blogs listed - the old one you stopped in 2010 and the one you just linked me to.

    I've added you to my blogs in my dashboard.

    Hugs,
    Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for following me back. And for reminding me about that other blog - think I'm going to do something about that right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think following the people that follow me is the nice thing to do. Plus, I've met some REALLY interesting people that way!

    Hugs,
    Chelle

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!