Sunday, September 18, 2011

It's Semi-Official

What a bummer. I think it's semi-official.

I tried cross-stitching yesterday after a week's break. My hand was feeling fine and the shooting pains in my shoulder that made me want to screech like a hoot owl at midnight were pretty much over with.

After stitching two rows, the feeling that someone was stabbing me in the hand was back. I soldiered on, but my shoulder started that ominous throbbing again. I set the project aside and contemplated asking my husband to smother me with a pillow. Then I went and played more Words with Friends.

I titled this "Semi-Official" because I can't bring myself to say I will never cross-stitch again. I can't imagine that I will never cross-stitch again. This is beyond my wildest nightmare.

Sewing is more than a hobby for me. It's creating something of beauty. It's creating something that people stop short in front of and say "Wow! Did you make that?" It's creating things like this:


This is one of the last pieces I completed about two years or so ago. It was a gift for Justin for Christmas. We had said these words when we renewed our vows on December 24, 2000. It's the Apache Marriage Blessing and, even though Justin is not of Apache heritage, it meant a lot to us to have something Native American as a part of the ceremony. I ordered the kit shortly after we renewed our vows, but it took me until two or three years ago to get serious about it and finish it.

I'm still in disbelief that I won't might not be able to finish the Celtic Princesses. Even if I can do only two rows a night and it takes 25 years, I am insisting that I will be able to do this. With a heating pad behind my shoulder and a pillow propping up my arm...and maybe a wrist brace...

Chelle

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!