Saturday, July 2, 2011

Decluttering - Am I Making any Progress?

Book Information:

Guidelines for submissions can be found  here, here, and here.
The submission deadline is September 30, 2011
If you need further information or have question, please email me at chronicbook@gmail.com
 

My dining room seems to have become the way station for my decluttering efforts.



Right now, I am working at several different decluttering projects.  I have the give away pile, which you see in the first picture.  I am waiting on a friend to pick up most of what's in that mess.  On the dining room table are the two boxes from Jamie's school years.  I have filled two bags with trash and narrowed it down to a fairly reasonable pile of things that will fit into an expandable file folder to keep for him.  I will probably narrow it down even more, but for now, I am happy with where I am with his stuff.  So, I will get this cleaned up probably today and off my table.

I still have several boxes and stacks of papers for the other two kids, but those are out of sight (if not out of mind) in the dark, scary basement.  If I can get the amount of "stuff" we have down there to a reasonable dimension, Justin will be building me some shelves to store Christmas decorations and such.  I am making progress, although I am sad that my oldest son seems to have lost his motivation to help me by taking trash to the dump.  He cleared out a good bit of the one room, but there is still some broken furniture and such that needs to go.  Time to start nagging...

As I have been working so hard on the book project over the last week, my desk has ended up looking like this:


This is absolutely an unacceptable amount of clutter, although I am not exactly sure what to do with all this stuff that has landed here in the last week.  This is definitely not working for me and I am ready for some organizational tips from a professional.  I never took Declutter 101 in college, so I find myself floundering somewhat in knowing where to put all of this stuff.  Right now, I have the cards for two free photo books staring at me as I write this and I have no idea what to do with them.  They expire six months from the time we purchased the kids their new computers, so there is a time limit.  If I put them away, I'll probably forget about them and who wants to pass up something that cool that's free?

I also have a file folder on our credit reports, notes and stuff for the book, bills, and assorted other things on there that I have no idea what to do with.

The other really cool thing on my desk right now is this:


It's really hard to see, but it's something I got from another fibro person's blog and wish I could figure out how to put it on my sidebar.  Apparently, there is something called "The Fibromyalgia Crusade" which is "a patient empowered and united awareness campaign created to spread support, strength, knowledge, understanding, compassion, inspiration and laughter."  They can be found at The Fibromyalgia Fun House, which is a facebook page offering support for patients with fibromyalgia.  I don't know what I want to do with this thing I printed, but I want to get its message out there.

"Fibromyalgia Syndrome is a complex illness seemingly of neurological origin stemming from a damaged central nervous system.  It is a prevalent chronic pain condition causing widespread body pain, sleep disturbances, and cognitive impairment, along with other fluctuating symptoms.  It can become disabling and drastically interfere with the ability to live a normal life."

That explains why I can't remember where the heck I set my drink down or why I can't remember to switch the laundry I started four hours ago or why I can't focus on anything more than two seconds...oh look!  A butterfly!

I will continue in my efforts to declutter.  In fact, I have a beautiful picture of something I found when I went to West Virginia that will be the subject of where I am trying to go in my own life that I am saving for another blog post.  Stay tuned.


Chelle

 

2 comments:

  1. Chelle, a friend of mine from college started a professional organizing business based out of Richmond. Not sure where you're located in VA, but you can check out her website and get in touch with her if you're looking for some tips.

    http://minimaonline.com/

    Hope this helps, and good luck with the continued decluttering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I have thought about using a professional organizer, but I know that in my past life, I used to be organized, so I feel that I can do this. It's just a matter of taking it slowly and deliberately.

    I am about three hours away from Richmond, so I probably couldn't use your friend's services, but I greatly appreciate the referral.

    Hugs.

    Chelle

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!