Thursday, June 2, 2011

Spending Diet - All Paid Off But One!

Just a very quick update - I'm sure I will have a wordier post later for you.

Today is Justin's birthday and so, as my gift to him, I have made a symbolic gesture.  We have been planning this for a couple of weeks, but I wanted to do it on his birthday because I know nothing makes him feel better than paying off debt (or not accumulating it - I'm working on it!)

Today I scheduled payment of the total amount of our last credit card.  The big "I Hate You" card that I have been struggling with for longer than I care to remember.

I just went into the bank account and checked.  With this payment, we will have paid off $13,485.06 in total credit card debt since March of this year.  That is unbelievable and I still have this very strange feeling in the pit of my stomach from scheduling that last payment.  I think it's a good feeling,  In fact, I think it's a feeling of Oh. My. Freaking. God.  I do not owe anything on these credit cards anymore!  Or I won't after June 8th, which is when I scheduled the payment.

We still have one small bill for furniture I bought last summer.  I bought it because I had a job at the time and we wanted new furniture.  Since I was working, we thought we could afford the monthly payment and it was interest free for two years, so as long as we made a payment of $100 a month, it would be paid off in time to avoid any interest charges.

I got fired and now we no longer have my income (and thank you so much guys for letting me know after I bought that furniture, oh no, I'm not still bitter at all).  I suspect that when the bill comes for that next month, I will pay it down by half or pay it off. 

And then we will truly be free of credit card debt.  And my vow, to Justin, on his birthday, is that it will stay that way.

That, my friends, is a freaking accomplishment.  Happy birthday, Justin!  I love you.  :o)

Chelle

 

2 comments:

  1. Whoo-hoo! Congratulations Chelle! Paying off over $13,000 in credit card debt since March is huge!

    What a wonderful birthday present to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jenny! I still can't believe it and won't completely until I get the bill showing the $0 balance. They'll probably throw an annual fee on. That's usually what they do when you pay it off, or at least that has been my experience.

    I just went back and re-read my post and remembered that the payment will post in two days. So, in two days, we will be credit card debt free except for our furniture payment.

    It will be immensely easier to save money to pay for larger things now that we will no longer have large credit card bills or car payments. (The cars have been paid off for a couple of years now and I have no plans to buy a new vehicle.)

    I feel strangely free and ready to start socking money back into our savings account.

    Chelle

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!