Saturday, May 28, 2011

Decluttering the House = Decluttering the Mind?



Do you ever wonder what your life would be like if you actually cleaned out all of those closets, the basement, the overflowing cabinets of the things that you never use?  I never really think of these extra things that we have as costing money or being a weight, but I have to admit that after we took a couple of car loads of clothing to Goodwill and Ben made the first run to the dump, I felt lighter in some way.

As with most interesting articles/blog entries, I came across the one I've linked you to above through another blog that I read.  The really cool thing about the internet is that there really is no end and if there is a subject you are interested in, somewhere online you can find information about it.  Or just read about other people who are doing what you think you should be doing.  It can be motivating, actually.

I have been working bit by bit to clean out the clutter in the last couple of weeks.  This is not easy, but I am inspired by other people like Colleen, who I found through Jenny's blog at www.exconsumer.com.  It's nice to get away from dwelling on all of the mental and physical health stuff and think about possibly having some control in some area of my life.

Could you get rid of 365 thing in 365 days?  I think we've probably already donated over 100 items of clothing in the last two weeks.  Maybe more, because it was a lot of bags.  We also got rid of a desk that my mom wanted to give us that turned out to unfortunately be falling apart and the video game chair that Joey broke almost immediately after getting it for Christmas.

Hey, it's a start.  I've gone through my side of the closet and taken some things out for donation.  I'm clinging to others that I know I will never wear again, for whatever reason.  Did you know that most people only actually wear 1/3 of what is in their closet?  I do wear the same things over and over again.  So what is making me hang onto the other stuff?  There's something psychological there and I'm not quite sure what it is.

Anyway, go read Colleen's blog entry and see if it doesn't inspire you to do a decluttering of your own over this long weekend.

Chelle

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!