Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Zapped on the Spending Diet

Never, ever allow me to go shopping.  I swear, it's like sending a kid into a candy store.  You can believe that I wasn't watching for a photo op for People of Walmart.  I was too busy being overwhelmed by the enormous variety of items I could buy.  And there was no one with me to stop me!  Ack!

My mission today was very simple:  Go to Wal-Mart and pick up my pictures and the dog's prescription.  I walked in the door and...well...you can guess what happened.

I have two receipts (well, three if you count the pharmacy) because after I got the photos, added two picture frames and a photo album and paid for them, I then wandered (entirely accidentally, stop laughing, I'm serious) into the women's clothing section and remembered that oh geez, they carry underwear and socks and they're really cheap here!  Not to mention those cool pajama jean leggings in capri length for $6.00 a pair.

What I can say (just a bit proudly) is that I didn't use the credit card and that is a huge step forward for me.  And I did not give in to the desire for a new digital camera, even though I was standing right in front of the display while waiting for my photos.  Oh how easy that would have been, now that I've paid it off!  All of those beautiful brand new cameras and all I had to do was ask the clerk which one she thought was the most idiot proof and the best value and I would be snapping away now with that instead of my phone.

I've heard of people freezing their credit cards to keep from using them.  I can picture myself with an ice pick, hacking away at the block of ice trying to get to all of that lovely credit.  I should really take the cards out of my wallet if there is to be any hope of keeping that balance at $0.  Maybe I'm trying to see if I can overcome the impulsive temptation to spend whenever I get into a store.

Today's outing was both a success and a failure.  Yes, I spent over $50 at Wal-Mart.  But I didn't charge.  Go me!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! You really should be proud of yourself for not giving into your impulses. Definitely a step in the right direction! I had to laugh though thinking of you in a Costco or Sam's Warehouse...I hope you do not have memberships to those stores because they really can test a person's impulse buying strengths (or lack there of!).

    :) Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandi,

    No, I do NOT have memberships to either one of those places, precisely for the reason you mention. I call them the $200 clubs, cause I can't get out for less than that.

    I think I am going in the right direction, but still have a long way to go and a lot to learn in many areas. Not just in saving, but in writing as well.

    I was proud of myself for not buying the camera. My phone has been getting quite the workout and for the most part takes great pics for posting on the blog, but not so great when blown up into prints. I was the epitome of restraint in front of that display today!

    Thanks so much for the positive feedback. I really put myself out there today and it's very scary to reveal that much of your personal self online.

    Chelle

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!