Monday, April 4, 2011

To Quote John Scalzi

If you have not checked out John Scalzi's website, I invite you to do so at Whatever Blog because his writing is (a) a lot like mine (or, to be fair, I should say I write a lot like he does because he's been doing it a lot longer than I have) and (b) totally irreverent, sarcastic, opinionated, and just plain funny.

I hope he would be honored that I am stealing his words for my blog's disclaimer.  I think I heard somewhere that to be quoted is one of the greatest honors an author can receive, so, Mr. Scalzi, I am quoting you here.  You have summed up exactly how I feel about my own blog, so readers, here it is:

1.  Everything on here is my opinion, and mine alone.

2.  Occasionally, I am completely full of shit.

3.  Well, all right, fine, more than occasionally.

4.  On occasion I will also opine on things I know little or nothing about.

5.  Which is fine, because the US Constitution says I can.

6.  So there.

7.  I'm not interested in being fair.

8.  I am occasionally petty, nasty, snappish and rude.  I'm also occasionally a tremendously sweet guy (gal).  You never know which you're going to get.

9.  Unless you have been told specifically by me otherwise, no, as a matter of fact, I don't care what you think about me or my opinions.

10.  I do try to be polite when I tell you that.

11.  But I can't promise anything.

12.  This is done by me for the purposes of my own amusement, and exists and updates entirely at my whim.  If I decide to go away for a day, a week, or forever, then I will.

John Scalzi, Your Hate Mail Will Be Graded, 2008

I post this up now because I know there is a rant coming on and I just want everyone who reads this to be aware that I agree with Mr. Scalzi's statements quoted above. 

One point.  If you're my friend and you happen to believe, say, do, or whatever anything that I rant about and you know that I care about your opinion because I've told you I do, please don't take it personally.  I only rant in general.  I still love you.

That is all.  For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!