Friday, December 17, 2010

A Happy Family Hanukkah Story

I wanted to share the following story that a friend of mine posted on her Facebook page.  Thanks Kate for letting me share.  I didn't know you could gamble with a dreidel.  You have SO got to teach me!



Mary Jane and our Garfield-like cat, Max.  She's grown so much since this was taken!

Kate's story:

Tonight, on the last night of Hanukkah, I finally got around to actually celebrating it.  We had a traditional Jewish meal of spicy chicken enchiladas and quesadillas, while I read the story of Hanukkah off of the internet (jewfaq.org).  Ha ha. While I was telling the story of Judah kicking some ass, James, while wearing his new Robin costume,  interrupted and said, "Mom, I'm one of those guys!! I fight the bad guys!"  It was really cute.  James and Peter and Mary Jane all listened to the story and I was really happy that they actually sat there and paid attention and listened!  But they love to hear stories, and it's kind of a cool story so I don't know why I expected anything less from them.  When it was time to light the candles, the boys repeated the prayer after me (since neither of them can read and Brendan doesn't speak the 'brew) while Mary Jane chanted "happy birthday" at the menorah.  After I corrected her to say "happy Hanukkah," she chanted that the rest of the night.  It was so adorable.  

There were three small gifts wrapped so after dinner, the kids opened their dreidels and Hanukkah gelt (chocolate coins) and we proceeded to do a little gambling.  Dreidel is really fun to play with kids even if you're not Jewish. :)  As Mary Jane stuffed her face with chocolate, James and Peter and I had a fun little game.  

It was a fun night and I just wanted to share it with you guys!
Happy Holidays!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!