Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Trivial Matter of Eyeliner

While I would never, ever say I could have been a beauty queen (or anything remotely resembling one), I have always made an effort to at least make sure that I am clean every day, hair styled, in decent clothing if I am leaving the house, with makeup on.  I don't wear a lot of makeup, but I feel like if I don't put what I do wear on in the morning, I really haven't "gotten ready" for my day. 

My mother used to (and may still) call this "putting on your face."  I've never thought much about the makeup I do wear, but it has always been an integral part of me and I don't particularly like anyone to see me without it.  Some days I do wonder why I worry about it so much, most recently when Justin came home from the grocery store one day and said that he had seen a woman in the store shopping in her pajamas.  Seriously?  Why I am bothering again?

I discovered over the many years since I began wearing makeup that my skin is of the sensitive variety and that I am only able to wear one particular brand of makeup.  All of those products that are advertised as "hypoallergenic" were obviously not tested on people with my face.  I finally settled on one brand as being my "go to" brand (you women will get this) and have stuck with it because of the awful reaction I get when I try something, anything else.

Of course, over the years I tried to get outside of my comfort zone, but every time I attempted to change labels to get the color I really wanted, I would get a horrendously red, swollen eye or two, complete with itching and the constant feeling that I was crying for two days.  My eyes and makeup just can't seem to get along.

I've always tended towards the cool colors and I like my eyeshadow somewhere in the purple/plum area.  I finally discovered that Cover Girl would not cause intense discomfort with use and have stuck with it.  Unfortunately, they have never made eyeliner in purple and so I would periodically try something different, going right back to the swollen, weeping, itching eyes.  I would immediately go running back to the standard, if not boring, brown.

I was at CVS the other day, waiting for a prescription to be filled, and discovered much to my delight that there was a new Cover Girl shade of eyeliner - purple!!!!  It's amazing how the little things in life can get us revved up.  Of course I had to purchase this incredible product and finally, finally I would be able to wear the color I always wanted...or so I thought.

I broke out the new eyeliner yesterday morning and used it, not thinking much about it because, after all, it was Cover Girl and I had never had a problem with that manufacturer.  This morning I woke up to a very red, itchy, swollen right eye.  I kept thinking I had pink eye, but no.  I finally realized that eyeliner had gotten me again.

This is a trivial matter, to be sure.  But it's amazing how the little things in life can trip us up.  No makeup means I don't leave the house and I'm sure not going to answer the door.  I'm supposed to be going out with my family tonight for a really nice dinner downtown to celebrate Ben's 19th birthday and I am thinking of taking a paper bag with me to wear over my head.  My eyelid is coated in neosporin and I am cursing the day that makeup was ever invented.

You can't return eyeliner, so you're out whatever you invested.  Big time bummer.  I don't know what it is about purple, but apparently God does not want me to have eyeliner in this particular color.

2 comments:

  1. CVS accepts returns of any cosmetic that you are allergic to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Even without the packaging or receipt? The trash went out this morning with both.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to tag back to your blog in the body of your message. Comments are my favorite!